Gum disease can affect how your teeth and gums look. It can also make your breath smell bad, and may even lead to loss of your permanent teeth. If you’re suffering from gum disease, it’s time to see the dentist in Reseda, CA. In this article, we’ll answer your questions about gum disease.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an infection in your gums, the tissues that help keep your teeth in place.
What Are the Symptoms of Gum Disease?
There are many symptoms of gum disease. Below are some of the most common signs to watch for:
- Red, swollen gums
- Gums that bleed when you brush your teeth
- Bad breath that doesn’t go away when you brush your teeth
- Loose teeth
- Loss of permanent teeth
- Shifting teeth
- Changes in the way the teeth fit together when you bite down
- Gum recession
What Can My Dentist Do About Gum Disease?
To treat your gum disease, your dentist will use a variety of techniques to control the bacteria in your mouth. This could involve anything from a deep cleaning to antibiotics, depending on the severity of the problem. To find out how your dentist will treat your condition, make an appointment to see the dentist and get a dental examination.
How Can I Prevent Gum Disease?
There are many things you can do to protect yourself from gum disease. For example:
- See your dentist regularly. Go to the dentist every six months for a dental examination and dental cleaning. Your dentist will clean your mouth to eliminate bacteria, and identify the early stages of gum disease so you can get treatment before it becomes serious.
- Clean your teeth. Brush your teeth twice daily at home. Floss once each day.
- Make an appointment with the dentist if you notice symptoms of a problem. Your dental professional will know what to do.
What Should I Do If I Think I Have Gum Disease?
If you think you have gum disease, come in for a dental exam at your dentist in Reseda, CA. Call Canby Dental today to make an appointment.