Cavities can be painful and uncomfortable. Knowing when your child has a cavity can help you decide when to seek care from the dentist in Reseda, CA. Below, we’ve listed information about cavities, including the signs that your child may have a cavity. You’re going to want to know!
What Is a Cavity?
A cavity is a hole in the tooth enamel caused by a combination of bacteria and sugar in the mouth. Some cavities are easy to spot, others are not. Children are often affected by cavities, because they tend to eat sugary foods, drink sugary drinks, and they typically do not have the best oral hygiene practices.
Signs Your Child Has a Cavity
There are many signs that your child has a cavity. Here’s what to look for:
- Pain in the mouth around the affected tooth
- Sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures as well as sugary drinks and foods
- A light brown or black spot on the tooth, or a visible hole in the tooth
Tell your child how important it is for them to communicate with you about when they’re feeling dental pain. The faster you know about their cavity, the faster you can get them help.
How to Prevent Your Child from Getting a Cavity
Cavities can be prevented. Here’s what you can do to protect your child’s teeth:
- Brush your child’s teeth for them until they turn 7 or 8 years old
- Take your child to the dentist twice annually
- Limit your child’s intake of sugary foods and drinks
- If your child drinks a bottle at night, fill it with water only – not formula or juice
By impressing upon your child how important it is for them to take care of their teeth, you can help your child develop a life of good oral hygiene habits. Ultimately, this can help your child avoid cavities now and in the future.
Think Your Child Has a Cavity? What to Do
If you believe your child has a cavity, get help from a pediatric dentist in Reseda, CA. A cavity can turn into a painful, difficult problem. It’s best to get help before your child’s symptoms become worse. Call Canby Dental today to make an appointment.